MPLS is the short name for Multi Protocol Label Switching which allows for some of the fastest, most secure and reliable communication out there for businesses who have offices in multiple locations.
No matter where your offices are in the country, this is no longer an issue as MPLS simply speeds up any complex connections. This solution is more complex than traditional leased lines and we can tailor a solution around your needs.
With the ability to mix and match bandwidth requirements at each individual site, it really is the only choice for multi-site connectivity. Products which can be used are broadband, Ethernet, EFM and leased lines to name a few.
Lets take a more in depth look at the benefits and answer some of the most asked questions with regards MPLS networks.
Is an MPLS network the right solution for my business?
Small businesses, mid-sized businesses, and major telecommunication companies are now using MPLS. With this, you can say that this new technology is now the backbone of broadband communication.
MPLS is already the choice for technology in Asia Pacific and Europe for new WAN implementations. This is also the primary service used by telecommunication companies.
Also, this technology can bring a number of benefits to your network not just in terms of speed. MPLS can reduce network congestion, improve bandwidth utilisation, hide network complexity, improve user experience, and improve uptime.
MPLS is highly scalable so it can be easily adapted to meet changing business requirements. Additional sites can be added to the network whenever needed.
With MPLS you are able to gain access to hosted applications, hosted VoIP, video conferencing, partner hosted apps such as Microsoft CRM, transaction processing and much more.
MPLS technology offers similar levels of security and performance as traditional ATM or Frame Relay private networks, but at a fraction of the cost. Similarly, as the intelligence resides in the MPLS network core, there is no need for any expensive VPN appliances to be located on the customer premises.
MPLS benefits explained
Is MPLS better than Leased Lines?
Is it true that MPLS is far better than leased lines? For extensive use of network connections, greater need for large bandwidth and demand for consistent and fast speed, it is better to rely on MPLS. Leased lines can also do a great job when it comes to creating a stable network and delivering impressive speed. However, for businesses which have more complex requirements for networking, the design and technology for MPLS is more appropriate.
Key Characteristics of MPLS
- MPLS or Multiprotocol Label Switching makes it possible to assign data packet for every traffic class
- MPLS makes it easier to manage traffic within the network to make it capable of handling extensive data usage and multiple traffic classes
- The QoS in MPLS is more sophisticated since it does not only prioritize applications but also redirects traffic to a specific path
- Efficient networking system which no longer requires synchronous Optical Networking, Frame Relay, Asynchronous Transfer more and other aspects which make it more difficult to manage the network
- The creation of links among the different business branches is simplified
Key Characteristics of a Leased Line
- A Leased line is uncontended which means that a single line is reserved only for one business
- Leased line can supply increased bandwidth and fast speed
- Works great for point to point connection
Aspects which make MPLS more appropriate for business
Though a leased line is also a practical choice for businesses these days because it also uses modern technology, MPLS still remains a notch higher. Some businesses, especially the multi-million and larger-scale ones, also have really high expectations when it comes to networking. Aside from that, there are too many applications, features and innumerable users which need to utilise the network. For such scenarios, MPLS is still the best choice.
Here are some of the reasons why MPLS is more beneficial than leased lines:
- Webbed Connection: Leased lines are efficient when it comes to creating connection between two endpoints. However, creating a link among several points may require the use of MPLS. This is also the reason why MPLS is more flexible and scalable especially for businesses that are continuously growing. Adding more features and increasing the capacity of the network can be easily done.
- Intense Traffic Management: With MPLS, it is not jut about implementing QoS. With an MPLS system, each type of traffic is classified automatically depending on the data packet. Hence, there is less or no chance that once multiple users start to access the network, the bandwidth would be jammed and congested. This is such a big hassle for businesses because it could also slow down the speed. With MPLS, the route of each traffic is specified so there would no be any network congestion. MPLS is perfect for data, video or audio data transmission.
- Bandwidth Flexibility: By simply discussing the specific needs of the business, customers can get the exact bandwidth which would be enough to support the needs of the workplace. Some service providers even take it a step higher by offering ‘burst speed’ to their customers. This means that for a specific time or period within the day, the bandwidth would be increased to satisfy the high demand during work hours.
- Quick Response Time: Data do not need to go through several interconnection just to reach its destination. Hence, the response time is much faster. Because of that, the network would be perfect for various communication means. There will be less jittering and no lags. All thanks to the quick response time, businesses can use the network connection to the fullest by using video conferences, voice calls and even VoIP.
- More Modern Technology: A lot of people would say that MPLS is the key in “future-proofing” the business. This is actually true. Having the MPLS system is like gearing up the business not just to handle today’s modern technology but also to cope up with future technological improvements. With a stable and efficient network, the business would be prepared for the developments that would come in the near future.
Before closing any deals for MPLS, it is imperative to compare prices too. The service agreements should also be scrutinised well so that the customer and the service provider understand the extent of the services. For businesses that need a network which will support all their needs. Going for MPLS is a smarter choice. It is best to discuss the exact details and requirements with us so that the MPLS system would be tailored to fit the needs of the business.
If you are looking for MPLS quotes from providers such as Virgin Business, BT Business and TalkTalk Business then please contact us on 03300 770070 or for an instant online quote, simply click here.