Leased Line advantages over broadband
A lot of people think that broadband and leased lines are just one and the same. This is absolutely not true! Though both pave way to having a means of connecting to the internet, there are certain technical aspects which make one different from the other.
A BroadbandÂ connection is a popular option these days for both home and small offices. There are also plenty of specialized packages that are being offered by ISPs. Because of the tight competition among ISPs, customers are able to choose the speed that they want.
On the other hand, a leased line is more appropriate for bigger business establishments and corporations. This is the key in getting superb internet speed which would satisfy the needs of the business. A Leased line can give speed and connectivity that can not be obtained using a broadband connection. Plus, this will enable different branches to share a single network even if these are not within the exact same location.
To further understand the difference of business broadband and leased lines, here are some of the major aspects that have to be noted:
- Dedicated Line vs Shared Cables:Â This is one major difference between leased line and broadband connection. The lines forÂ broadbandÂ internet are shared by several users. Usually, the ongoing ratio for service providers is 1:50. This means that for every 8Mbps pipe, there are 50 users which will share the network connection. On the other hand, a leased line does not involve sharing among multiple customers. When a client opts to get a leased line, the cable connection is reserved solely for the business.
- Same Promised Speed, Different Performance:Â The speed that is indicated in broadband and leased line packages can get a bit confusing. Would a 2 Mbps business broadband deliver the same speed as a 2 Mbps leased line? The answer is no. Yes, these are the same speed. Problem is, since broadband connection is shared with other users, customers can not always enjoy the 2 Mbps speed. The usual scenario is that there are periods within the day during which the internet connection slows down because there are too many users. Then, the peak time would be during the time when the number of users dwindles. With a leased line, there is no need to think about down time and peak time. If a customer opts for a 2 Mbps package, then it means that this speed is constant 24/7.
- Extent of Flexibility:Â It is true that both business broadband and leased lines give plenty of options for customers. However, there are more choices for leased lines when it comes to speed. For leased lines, customers can choose from 2Mbps to 10Gbps. On the other hand, the business broadband packages are more limited. Hence, with leased lines, customers need to pay only for the speed that they need.
- Data Usage Limit:Â The main reason why a leased line is more cost-efficient is because the network is up and running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Plus, the plans have unlimited usage. That is why, companies are able to utilize a multitude of online applications such as video conferencing, VoIP and a whole host of other applications. Broadband plans either come with a limited data usage limit or the billing would sky-rocket according to the amount of bandwidth used. This is not ideal for business because limitation with data usage leads to restricting the operations. Having a reliable leased line is a good way to cut the expenses of businesses.
- Upstream and Downstream Speed:Â For business broadband plans, the speed specified is applicable only for downloading. It is set to prioritize downloading only and the uploading speed is just disappointing. Since businesses require both fast download and upload speed, having a leased line is very important. Leased lines have symmetric connection. This means that if the download speed that the customer picked is 2Mbps, then the upload speed will also be as fast.
- More Efficient Services:Â ForÂ broadbandÂ plans, it is typical for customers to encounter interruptions with the connection, customer service hotline which is way too difficult to get in touch with and repairs which take a few days. With leased lines, such problems are eliminated. The providers even offer SLAâs because they are capable of guaranteeing quick repairs and continuous monitoring.
Business broadband could also do an excellent job when it comes to providing internet connection. However, for bigger companies and business establishments, a leased line would be more appropriate. Aside from the fast and efficient connection speed, this can also establish a single network for multiple endpoints.